Self Guided tour
14 DAY SELF DRIVE TOUR
PRICING FOR TWO PERSONS
Toyota Corolla Hatchback -14 Day Rental (Other Vehicle Options Available)
Motel Accommodation & Activities Package
Other Optional Inclusions:
Meals & Fuel
Club Gold Membership
New Zealand’s North Island is home to island sanctuaries, bustling cities, amazing beaches, and exhilarating walks with unforgettable views. Driving your own rental vehicle is a popular way of exploring the North Island allowing you to travel at you own pace and in your own time. Plan your own trip or use the suggested itinerary and accommodation and activities package or we can adjust the package to meet your requirement. Our standard tour package includes:
- Tours and Activities
- Rental Cars & People Movers
- Extensive Tours Notes and Driving Instructions
- A pre-loaded travel card for fuel, extra activities, and meals
AUCKLAND – AUCKLAND
14-DAY TOUR ITINERARY
Day 1 & 2 – Whitianga (190 km – 2:30 hrs)
- Banana Boat Ride - Arrive late in the morning after collecting your rental vehicle. Enjoy the scenery of stunning beaches, caves, and the marine reserve on your visit to world famous Cathedral Cove.
- Beachside Oceans Resort Motel Apartments – Perfectly located for many Whitianga activities including swimming, diving, bush walking, scenic cruises, soaking in a hot pool at low tide, horse riding, fishing, kayaking, relaxed shopping, and dining on local cuisine.
- Included activities – include a 20-minute Banana Boat Ride and two-night stay at Whitianga Beachside Resort (Superior unit).
Day 3 – Tauranga – (168km – 2:30 hrs)
- Harbour Cruise – Discover untouched white sandy beaches, wildlife, and occasionally marine animals such a fur seals and dolphins. Get close-up to large container vessels and visiting cruise ships as you cruise through the busy port of Tauranga.
- Quest Tauranga Central – Relax for a one-night stay in an executive studio room located in the heart of Tauranga’s exceptional shopping, dining, and nightlife areas.
Day 4 & 5 – Rotorua (53km – 0:40 hrs)
- Hells Gate & Tamaki Māori Village – A popular tourist destination with several active thermal areas and a rich Māori heritage. Our activities package has an interactive walk-through Hells Gate geothermal reserve, a visit to Tamaki Māori Village where guests participate in learning the haka and poi before enjoying a hāngi buffet.
- Bella Vista Motel – Unwind for a two-night stay in a superior studio unit next to Kuirau Thermal Park.
Day 6 – Lake Taupo (80 km – 1:00 hrs)
- Scenic Cruise to Māori Rock Carvings – A must-do popular tourist attraction take a 90-minute tour of Lake Taupō to the Ngātoroirangi Māori Rock Carvings. Enjoy a delicious free homemade muffin and a hot drink included.
- Huka Falls River Cruise – Get the best views of Huka Falls from our comfortable inside seating area, large rear deck, and front viewing platform. Experience clear waters, birdlife, native bush lined riverbanks and natural hot streams. Complimentary tea and coffee available on the boat.
- Bella Vista Motel – Unwind for a one-night stay in a standard studio unit next to Kuirau Thermal Park.
Day 7 – Napier (140 km – 1:45 hrs)
- National Aquarium – Stretches along Napier’s Marine Parade like a huge stingray. It is home to a wide range of saltwater, freshwater, and land animal exhibits from New Zealand and around the world. The 1.5 million litre Oceanarium highlights the varied aquatic species that exist in the adjacent Hawke Bay, including sharks, stingrays, and other reef fish. You can journey through the Oceanarium inside the amazing underwater viewing tunnel via a 50m travelator as fish swim and feed, above and around you.
- Bella Vista Motel – Relax for one night in a standard studio room.
Day 8 – Martinborough – (225 km – 2:45 hrs)
- Mount Bruce Wildlife Centre – Pūkaha / Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre is a captive is a restored forest and captive breeding site, home to endangered wildlife such as brown kiwi, pāteke (brown duck), whio (blue duck), takahē, kōkako, kākā, orange-fronted parakeet, tuturuatu (shore plover), and tuna (longfin eels).
- Wine tasting – Martinborough has over 40 vineyards open for wine tasting and many with dining options.
- Claremont Motel – Enjoy a one-night stay in an executive studio situated on the edge of the famous wine village.
Day 9 & 10 – Wellington – (101 km – 1:40 hrs)
- Te Papa guided tour – Ride on the cable car and visit to Te Papa for a guided 60-minute tour which will take you on a journey through New Zealand’s rich history and cultures with stories about our adaptive wildlife, resilience of the Māori people and life in the South Pacific.
- Bella Vista Motel – Relax for two nights in a standard studio room.
Day 11 – Whanganui (194 km – 2:30 hrs)
- Paddle Steamer River Cruise – Stop at Foxton for great coffee at the Dutch Windmill. Take a 2-hour trip on The Paddle Steamer Waimarie an historic riverboat based on the Whanganui River.
- Aotea Lodge – Relax for one night in the deluxe studio.
Day 12 – Otorohanga (282 km – 3:30 hrs)
- Waitomo Glow-worm Caves tours – Made up of two levels, the upper being dry and decorated with stunning, delicate cave formations and the lower level consisting of stream passages. Enjoy the serene ambience as you enter this galaxy of tiny living lights, the glow-worm (Arachnocampa Luminosa), and the tallest chamber in the cave, the Cathedral.
- Palm Court Motel – stay one-night in a superior studio.
Day 13 – Matamata (90 km – 1:10 hrs)
- Lord of The Rings ™ Movie Set Tour – For many this will be the highlight of their self-drive tour with a visit to Hobbiton Village. Those on our activities package will join a fully guided, Lord of The Rings Movie Set walking tour, around the 12-acre set; past Hobbit Holes ™, the Mill and into the world-famous Green Dragon Inn, where you be presented with a complimentary beverage to conclude your Middle-earth ™ adventure.
- Tower Road Motel – unwind for one night in a standard studio room.
Day 14 – Auckland – (148 km – 1:45 hrs) Return rental vehicle early afternoon and return home with lots of memories of North Island New Zealand
JOIN KIWI TRAVEL CLUB FREE MEMBERS PROGRAM
Regular tour updates with hot deals, early bird specials and member only offers