Driving your own rental vehicle is a popular way of exploring New Zealand’s Mainland (South Island). Kiwi Travel Club offers a selection of affordable rental vehicles from local operators. Plan your own trip or use the suggested itinerary, accommodation, and attraction packages.
FROM NZD $1,295 Quad Share or NZD $1,495 Twin Share
The standard tour package includes:
- Toyota Corolla Hatchback -7 Day Rental
- Motel Accommodation (Superior Studio or 1/2 Bedroom units)
- Tours & Activities Package
(Other Vehicle Options Available including people movers)
SOUTH ISLAND SELF DRIVE TOUR
7-DAY TOUR ITINERARY
Day 1 – Christchurch:
- Pick up your rental vehicle – mid-afternoon or as arranged
- Explore the city – by car or vintage tram.
- Bella Vista Motel Stay two- nights in a superior studio room (twin) 2 bedroom apartment (Quad)
- Entry Fees Included: Unless stated otherwise entry to attractions is included in the tour price
Day 2 – Christchurch:
- Antarctic Centre – ride on the amazing all-terrain amphibious vehicle built to conquer the rough ice terrain.
- Vintage Tram all day pass – Enjoy the Tram, and the Gondola
- Cardboard Cathedral – Only cathedral in the world made substantially of cardboard and was designed by world-renowned Japanese architect Shigeru Ban.
Day 3 – Hokitika (246 km – 3:20 hrs)
- Hokitika – Discover a wild and beautiful beach, the blue-green waters of the Hokitika George and superb views of the Southern Alps.
- Kiwi Centre – Get close up and personal with New Zealand’s national bird and other wildlife
- Bella Vista Motel – Stay one-night in a superior studio room (Twin) or 1 Bedroom unit (Quad)
Day 4 – Franz Josef Glacier (158 km – 2.00 hrs)
- Easy Walks- The Glacier area offers a range of walks for most fitness levels including the Lake Matheson circle track which is famous for its reflective views of Aoraki/Mount Cook.
- Your tour notes will provide information on the various options.
- Bella Vista Motel stay two nights in standard studio room or 1 Bedroom unit (Quad)
Day 5 – Queenstown (288 km – 3:30 hrs)
- Enjoy the Drive – The drive from to Queenstown is one of the most scenic in New Zealand. Your tour notes have suggested stops and short walks.
- Skyline Gondola – Experience a a ride on the Skyline Gondola, with an optional dinner or luge ride.
- Bella Vista Motel – Stay two- nights in king studio room or 1 Bedroom unit (Quad)
Day 6 – Queenstown
- Walter Peak High Country Farm & Lake Cruise –Enjoy the TSS Earnslaw Lake cruise to and from Walter Peak Country Farm with spectacular Lake Wakatipu and Queenstown’s alpine scenery, includes a farm demonstration with sheep herding and farm dogs in action and a gourmet BBQ lunch
Day 7 – Onward Travel
- Return your rental vehicle mid-afternoon and return home with lots of memories of New Zealand’s Mainland
JOIN KIWI TRAVEL CLUB FREE MEMBERS PROGRAM
Regular tour updates with hot deals, early bird specials and member only offers